First Reformed Church began as a congregation in 1914 as part of the Reformed Church in America. Our denomination has roots in the Protestant Reformation of the 1500's, especially as taught by John Calvin, and followed Dutch people who began emigrating to America in the 1600's. We are the oldest Christian denomination in North America that has a continued ministery here.
We believe the basics of the faith as taught by all Christian churches, namely:
• God is Triune: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
• God created the world, made it good, and continues to care for it.
• Because of human sin, the Father sent the Son to bring forgiveness and eternal life.
• Jesus, the eternal Son of God, was born of a virgin, intentionally died on the cross as a sacrifice of atonement, rose from dead to defeat death, now rules creation, and will some day return.
• God the Holy Spirit now works among us, revealing the truth, convicting of sin, empowering God's people to share the good news about Jesus.
• God wants all humanity to find salvation and eternal life by believing the good news of Jesus.
• We know all of this because of the Bible, which is God's inspired and true message to us.
• And then, along with all Protestants, we also believe that we are saved by grace through faith, not by works; and that Christ alone is the Savior.